Frequently Asked Questions
Tips for Proper Plumbing Care & Maintenance in Gaithersburg
At Mallick Plumbing & Heating, Inc., we are committed to educating our customers about the proper care and maintenance of their plumbing systems. Our professionally trained and licensed plumbers are equipped to meet all your residential and commercial plumbing needs. We have included answers to some of the most common questions our team receives below.
We are always here to answer your questions. Please call (301) 804-6759 to speak with a knowledgeable Gaithersburg plumber!
General Plumbing Questions & Tips
How do I choose the right water heater?
Your entire household depends on a properly functioning water heater. The hot water heater is used every day and selecting the right model is important.
When buying a water heater, make sure that it:
- Will provide adequate hot water for your home
- Offers the energy efficiency you need
- Fits your fuel source and your budget
How can I conserve water?
Water conservation is great for your budget and the environment. You can install water-conserving plumbing fixtures and appliances, have regular maintenance performed on your plumbing system to detect hidden leaks, and lower the water level in your tank. Since more than a third of the water usage in the average home comes from toilets, lowering the water in the tank will conserve water with every flush.
What can I do to properly maintain my plumbing system?
A well-maintained plumbing system is less likely to surprise you with an unexpected failure. In addition to having regular professional maintenance, there are some things you can do to keep your plumbing system working as it should.
Some things to check include:
- The faucets and fixtures in rarely used guest bathrooms
- Your water meter to make sure it isn’t running when the water is off
- Exposed pipes for signs of corrosion
- Water pressure
- Buildup in faucet aerators and shower heads
Regularly inspecting your plumbing system is the best way to spot problems early when they are easier to fix.
Where is the main water shut off valve?
In the event of a plumbing emergency, the first thing to do is to shut off the water and then call our plumbers for help. It is important to know where the main shut off valve is located. The valve is generally located where the water supply enters your home. Keep in mind that the valve should work smoothly and turn the water off completely. Valves may fail due to deterioration with age and due to buildup of calcium and lime.
Seasonal Plumbing Tips
Although your plumbing system needs to be cared for throughout the year, there are certain tasks and issues that arise at different times of the year. Taking the time to inspect and repair small issues is the best way to avoid major repairs.
In the fall and winter, be sure to:
- Disconnect outdoor hoses to prevent freezing
- Check outdoor faucets for drips or leaks
- Cover faucets with a Styrofoam cone cover for added protection
- Have a professional blow out and shut down the sprinkler system
- Inspect and insulate exposed pipes in the basement or garage
- Flush and service the water heater
- Clean the gutters
- Have the sump pump inspected and cleaned
- Shut off the main water valve and drain the system if you leave for the winter
Freezing is a common plumbing problem in the winter months. Following these tips can help you prevent damage to your plumbing system. If freezing does occur, give us a call for reliable service.
In the spring and summer months, consider:
- Replacing an old water heater
- Cleaning the lint trap for the washing machine
- Installing backflow valves
- Installing flood alarms
- Inspecting for leaks
- Checking faucets and hoses for leaks and drips
Often, problems that begin over the winter are discovered after the ground thaws. We offer a wide array of plumbing services for installation, repair, and maintenance. Regardless of the season, day of the week, or hour, we are here when you need us with 24/7 emergency plumbing services.
Contact usfor all your plumbing installation, repair, and maintenance needs.